Would like to know if you guys recommend going ahead with killing out the bermuda grass now or later in the summer? It was here before my house was built, and it came back strong after grading. It is formulated specifically for dry climates and elevation. Turf-type fescue grass is also dark green, but it grows up to 3 or 4 feet if it is left to grow on its own. Knowing which seed-mixture variety will work best for your lawn in North or South Carolina involves many variables. I give 2 thumbs up for Bermuda in the Charlotte are. also another thing to consider it the shade. Our lawn care programs are tailored specially for tall fescue or bermuda lawns in and around Charlotte, NC. The best method of seeding is with a no-till drill. But, since many folks including my HOA like attractive turfgrass we all plant it. Bermuda grass also grows aggressively, meaning it can take over an entire established lawn, spreading by above-ground and below-ground runners. I live just outside Charlotte, NC. Along the blade of Bermuda grass, white hair-like puffs protrude from where the stem intersects with the leaves. Any help or insight into this will be appreciated. Bermuda grasses also tend to be strong candidates for new lawns in areas where temperatures are hot. Animal performance on average will be increased by about 0.5 pounds per day. Time to aerate and over-seed. however- it doesn’t belong in your area. any recommendations which grass we should choose between above. Understanding the grass types also provides important information for maintaining the health and vitality of the primary turf types. That’s your key for winning. Babaganoosh LawnSite Senior … Tall Fescue. A common pasture-type cultivar that is used is called Kentucky 31; however, this cultivar is being replaced by new and more attractive types of cultivars that have a thinner blade, are darker green in color and most importantly, tolerate shade better than Kentucky 31. Fescue vs. Zoysia Fescue or Zoysia Comparison Zoysia vs Fescue. * We don’t share your info with anyone ever. Fescue vs Warm Season Grasses in Raleigh & the Triangle. I’ve fought bermuda in my fescue lawn. Stay Up to Date With The Latest News & Updates, 3840 Edison Lakes Pkwy, Mishawaka IN 46545, Please note that we will be closed 12/22/20 at 2pm through 1/3/21, Copyright 2020 © ExperiGreen – All Rights Reserved. and people call it wire grass. I have tried a patch of Bermuda and it seems to be doing great. Bermuda grass is a dark green perennial grass that usually grows to be no more than two inches long. Fescue vs Warm Season Grasses in Raleigh & the Triangle. My bermuda lawn looks fabulous compared to my neighbor’s browning fescue. Location: North Carolina Grass Type: Princess 77 Bermuda Lawn Size: 14,000 Mower: California Trimmer. Please call 1888-360-1125 to schedule Greensboro area delivery.. October 2011 started out just about as well as anyone could expect in southern North Carolina. These grasses can survive long periods of drought, although they will typically look dry and brown during these periods. Fescue is a cooler weather grass and tends to do better in zone 7. Zenith_NC wrote: ↑ Thu May 09, 2019 6:19 pm. Golfing Griffin – posted 15 October 2002 14:57. The fescue has been struggling against the Bermuda this summer. Bermudagrass is grown for both hay and pasture farming systems . They are usually a blend of several hybrids that offer different qualities. If you are a homeowner with a lawn, you certainly look for a grass that could grow easily in your lawn. You can also seed with Rye grass for a green lawn in the winter, but the Rye is not nearly as thick or as dark green as the Bermuda so your grass will not have the same look all year. Chewings Fescue is sometimes used to overseed shady lawns usually in lawn mixtures containing perennial ryegrass and adapted well to sandy, acidic and infertile soils. Bermuda grass also will invade flower and shrub beds and gardens, typically resulting in the need to weed these areas often. Though there are many varieties to choose from, always pay attention to the weather and conditions in your lawn before finalizing any type of grass. 2016-05-11 . Unlike fescue, bermudagrass grows well in sandier soil types and can tolerate high temperatures . Source: Purdue Turf Tips. Use on established bermudagrass, zoysiagrass, tall fescue, bentgrass, perennial bluegrass, or perennial ryegrass fairways and tees. This helps you will have success with a … I am considering re-seeding it. Use also on bermudagrass and bentgrass greens . This Fescue type is a great choice, especially for southern North Carolina residents, in that this variety does well in transitional zones where the weather is much warmer. Any and all advice is much appreciated! I don’t mind the dormant phase as it means I don’t have to mow it. Tall Fescue (Festuca arundinacea): Cool-Season, Cool-Climate GrassTall fescue can be grown in regions of North and South Carolina that are characterized by cooler climates – such as in the Foothills and Piedmont regions of the states. Cons for Bermuda and Zoysia: totally brown in winter. The recommended Bermuda grass mowing height is 1.5 inches for hybrid varieties and 1 inch for common varieties. any recommendations which grass we should choose between above. They also handle wear-and-tear well, making them the choice for high traffic areas. Avoid nitrogen on Tall Fescue from June through August. Tall Fescue is considered a cool season grass and performs best in the cooler temperatures of spring and fall. Many golf and sports turf managers as well as home owners and sports field managers are faced with drastic reductions in survival and re-establishment of their permanent bermuda bases, after winter ryegrass overseeding. This summer has pretty much destroyed my lawn which is Kentucky 31. Need help…live in DFW sodded Palmetto S/A last year looked great…over seeded Winter Rye…mow yard looks awful. All the information is on the seed bag: Pallets of sod are available for delivery to Greensboro, NC, and the surrounding area. sanders4617 wrote: ↑ Thu May 09, 2019 5:13 pm. I have also heard that most people consider this a weed. Some popular varieties are bermuda, and zoysia. Tall fescue, Kentucky bluegrass, fine fescue, and perennial ryegrass are common types of cool-season grasses. Warm-season grasses are adapted to the sandy soils of the North Carolina coastal plain and most of the piedmont. Forget Bermuda, your climate is more condusive to cool season grasses. For one, it helps homeowners in North and South Carolina to know which types of grass to plant to establish or re-establish a lawn. It does require irrigation in the summer, but 1/3 that of Fescue. I dont mind a little bit of work to keep it up. I live in Raleigh, NC and the builder of our subdivision put down Bermuda sod in our yards. For sandy soils, typical to the coastal plain and sandhills of North Carolina, fertilizer rates should be increased by 20 percent. In the triad region of North Carolina with a non-irrigated fescue lawn the grass has gone dormant for the most part. Mowing Mow when the lawn first turns green using a reel mower set at 3 ⁄ 4 to 1 inch or a rotary mower set as low as possible without scalping. If not, then try Buffalo grass. Forget Bermuda, your climate is more condusive to cool season grasses. I have bermuda at one home, and fescue at the other. **Dwarf St. Augustinegrass varieties only. When well taken care of, they look great in the summer. It does very well and looks great. Depending on the size of your lawn, this maintenance could really be a big time sink. twice a week for optimum appearance, weekly at a minimum. In fact, the Seedland website says it is considered the South's grass. Tall Fescue: Pennington Signature Series, Turf Type Tall Fescue, Water Saver Blend ... 120 Bermuda Drive Council 28434 Phone: Fax: (910) 669-2993 ... North Carolina Sod Producers Association Campus Box 7620, Raleigh, NC 27695 Phone: 919-302-7971 Fax: 919-515-5315 The recommended Bermuda grass mowing height is 1.5 inches for hybrid varieties and 1 inch for common varieties. The thing that worries me is all of the horror stories about bermuda. The cool-season, cool-climate grasses (such as Tall Fescue) grow best at temperatures between 60 and 75 degrees and have a difficult time adjusting to hot, dry periods; they typically go dormant quickly during drought times. It looked terrible and we never liked to be in it. There are two broad categories of grasses in North Carolina and South Carolina: cool-season, cool-climate grasses and warm-season, warm-climate grasses. Tall fescue (Festuca arundinacea) is the most used grass variety in North Carolina, according to the North Carolina University Extension. Pros for Fescue: stays relatively green year-round. Bermuda grass is one of the most common grasses in South Carolina. If Bermuda doesn’t belong here, then why does it grow so well in Winston-Salem? Post by ENC_Lawn » Thu May 09, 2019 7:39 pm. Current information on suitable cultivars for North Carolina can be found on the NC State TurfFiles website. It has a turf like completion that is luscious and is stunning emerald, but let’s take a closer look. What are the Difference Types of Fescue Grasses in South Carolina? Mowing heights will be set at 3-3.5” for tall Fescue and 2-2.5” for Bermuda and Zoysia to encourage thickening. With that in mind, let’s look at two common grass-types: one a cool-season, cool-climate grass, and the other a warm-season, warm-climate grass. All our neighbors have bermuda grass which has blown onto our lawn and wrecked havoc. grows as a turf grass in subtropical and tropical climates, but your best choice for a lawn will likely be a hybrid. Bermuda will work, but ONLY in full sun (10+ hours of direct sunlight)and for 3 to 4 months during the year. As far as bermuda, it is the ultimate sports turf, but unless you are going to reel cut it at 1/2 inch like a fairway, it looks like green steel wool. Warm-season grasses are adapted to the sandy soils of the North Carolina coastal plain and most of the piedmont. bermuda will not tolerate shade. We will lower the mower setting one notch to remove excess overwintering leaves. In this article we will talk about Bermuda and St. Augustine grasses that are good for warm climates. Not sure about Bermuda. Grasses used in North Carolina generally consists of warm season grasses such as: bermuda, zoysia, centipede, and carpet grass is even used in shady, wet areas of the state. To get well established, best bet is to sod, not seed. While Bermuda, on average grows to be about two inches, Fescue can grow to be several feet long if left unattended. Warm-season grasses are slow to green up in the spring, grow best in the summer, and go dormant after the first heavy frost. Mowing Mow when the lawn first turns green using a reel mower set at 3 ⁄ 4 to 1 inch or a rotary mower set as low as possible without scalping. These grasses tend to have an extensive and deep root system, making them resistant to the pressure that come from heat and drought. Warm-season grasses are green in the summer and become brown and dormant in the winter. There are many varieties of bermudagrass available from sod or plugs. Smaller orders of sod are available for pick-up at our Charlotte and Raleigh Stores; please consult the Store Location map. Yes! Even the more desirable “turf type” Fescue is the heaviest maintenance lawn type for our area. Consistent, generous irrigation of tall fescue lawns is recommended during prolonged heat and/or dry spells. Fescue – posted 31 May 2004 01:28. Bermuda is a British Overseas Territory comprising of 181 islands, in the North Atlantic Ocean. centipede, fescue, etc, are all weeds if you are are going for a monoculture of turf of another variety. Each of these types of grasses responds differently to hot, dry periods. Fescue sod prices range from $160 to $350 per pallet or between $0.35 and $0.70 per square foot. Check soil moisture periodically. Contains cache meadow brome, slender wheatgrass, forage tall fescue, paiute orchard grass, and fawn tall fescue. One bag covers an acre of pasture and it is endophyte free. Bermuda is known for being the luxurious green carpet on golf courses. My wife hates the brown but hey I tell her it gives me more time to drink beer. “People will go with cheap seed and they have all these weeds come up,” Good says. Warm season you’re fighting weeds … Tall Fescue VS. Bermuda Grass In The Carolinas. Besides this similarity, these are grasses that have many different properties. Overseeding your lawn in North Carolina is a great way to get a thick healthy lawn and fill in bare spots, but it’s important to find just the right time of the year to do it. Re: Converting TTT Fescue lawn to Bermuda lawn in NC - Help! Reader Question: “The new house I purchased last year had a combination bermuda/tall fescue sod laid down by the builder. it’s just a turfgrass! For a smaller lawn use organic fertilizers when possible. Bermuda Grass vs. Fescue Gass. Here in North Carolina we are fortunate to have the best of both worlds when it comes to turf choices. See the estimate, review home details, and search for homes nearby. You want it to be zero. For fescue blends in particular, he says to look at the weed or crop percentage in the seed. Our lots are all around 1/4 acre, so fertilizing every 3-4 weeks and mowing weekly is not a huge effort, but you can easily spot the lawns that don’t get fertilized! Bermuda must be mown low, at 0.5” to 1.5”, which is best accomplished with a reel mower. Leave grass clippings on the lawn; they decompose quickly and can provide up to 25 percent of the lawn’s fertilizer. If not, then try Buffalo grass. This cool season grass variety also requires less fertilizer than others making it a low maintenance lawn choice. Reader Question: “The new house I purchased last year had a combination bermuda/tall fescue sod laid down by the builder. Fescue pastures can be overseeded now with perennial legumes such as ladino or red clover. per our builder Bermuda is free but if we choose to go with Fescue then we will have Bermuda Grass vs Fescue Grass- Chapel Hill NC 27517 (Raleigh: 2015, house) - Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary - North Carolina -The Triangle Area - City-Data Forum There are two broad categories of grasses in North Carolina and South Carolina: cool-season, cool-climate grasses and warm-season, warm-climate grasses. I am in Atlantic beach NC and maintain 30 acres of fairway quality 419. the real trick to good looking bermuda is mow frequently. This summer has pretty much destroyed my lawn which is Kentucky 31. Warm-season grasses are green in the summer and become brown and dormant in the winter. Im not sure which type to do. The bermuda lawn works the crap out of me during the hot summer, and only looks good from mid-June to about November due to the dormant period. We understand what is required to keep your lawn green and healthy. Fescue pastures can be overseeded now with perennial legumes such as ladino or red clover. Farther north there are more cool season grasses, like blue grass and fescue, and south of us there are a variety of warm season grasses. We live in North Alabama and had a beautiful fescue lawn for several years. American Turf Grass Corporation is proud to be a premier grower and provider of sod grass in North Carolina, delivering quality turf products and services to residential and commercial clients in Central North Carolina, Eastern North Carolina and Tidewater Virginia. Tall Fescue makes up 80% of the lawns in Charlotte. Get a quote now by giving us a call or filling out this contact form. We love the fescue and would like to keep it. Fescue vs. Bermuda In NC. The North Carolina Cooperative Extension lays out some guidelines for picking the right grass seed. Any sod of course is more expensive than seed, but Zoysia is almost double the cost of fescue sod. horror stories??? April . Our goal at Jonathan Green is to help you grow a vibrant healthy lawn, and we provide everything you need to accomplish the task. Lawns with a high percentage of bermuda grass tend to be low maintenance. Bermuda grass and fescue grasses each have strengths and weaknesses that give them advantages in different growing situations. Actually, neither Bermuda nor Fescue “belong” here since neither are native… both were introduced here in the early 1800s. Give us a call today, and let’s discuss your lawn project. in other turf types and in plant beds it is a weed. They suggested we let our lawn go to Bermuda grass, which we hate, as we also … depending on the growers it runs about $1.25/sq.yard. Bermuda’s extreme vigor can be a problem though as it frequently grows into landscape beds and gardens. This promotes quicker green-up of the lawn. anna k bots – posted 04 August 2007 11:14. It is popular because of its ability to take up large amounts of nitrogen applied in the form of animal or municipal waste, high nitrogen use efficiency, and high summer yields . Homeowners won’t need to dethatch Tall Fescue lawns due to its bunch-forming growth as well. No Comments. Bermuda grass and species of fescue are well-suited to be paired in a turf lawn. Fescue is a cool-climate turfgrass that's tolerant of moist soils, high traffic, temperature extremes, and drought. Many NC Soil and Water Conservation Districts have no-till drills that can be “rented.” The going rate is $10 per acre. For areas with heavy shade, Elite Tall Fescue may be your best choice. Elite Tall Fescue: 500 sf per pallet: Emerald Zoysia: 500 sf per pallet: TifBlair Centipede Ecograss: 500 sf per pallet: TifTuf Bermuda: 500 sf per pallet: Tifway 419 Bermuda Sod: 500 sf per pallet: Zenith Zoysia: 500 sf per pallet: Zeon Zoysia: 500 sf per pallet: Grass Seed; Elite Tall Fescue Seed: Overseeding - 5 lbs/1,000 sqft. Most lawns are a mixture of different grass seed varieties, with each variety making up a set percentage of the total mixture. Tall Fescue varieties for lawns and other turf have a finer texture than the traditional cultivars such as Kentucky 31 though not as fine textured as fine fescues. The fescue lawn looks like a post card yard all year except for July and August. Be sure to mow before the bermudagrass gets taller than 2 inches. Another quick germinating pasture seed that grows strong and hardy. Leave grass clippings on the lawn; they decompose quickly and can provide up to 25 percent of the lawn’s fertilizer. Bermuda and Bahia, both warm-season grasses, are typically planted in areas that see high temperatures and frequent drought conditions. One major drawback of bermuda grass is that it does not grow well in the shade – to the degree that if a lawn is primarily shaded, bermuda grass is not recommended as the turf of choice. Bermuda will work, but ONLY in full sun (10+ hours of direct sunlight)and for 3 to 4 months during the year. the hybrids (sod only) are much better than the common. Bermuda Grass – (Cynodon dactylon): Warm-Season, Warm-Climate Grass Bermuda grass is a dark green, dense and low growing type of turf that spreads through rhizomes and stolons. Now I have a yard that’s 65% bermuda with clumps of fescue popping up through out the yard. Thanks for any advise you can give. all a weed is is an undesirable plant. Location: North Carolina Grass Type: Princess 77 Bermuda Lawn Size: 14,000 Mower: California Trimmer. The number of turf varieties available can be overwhelming which is why we offer the best turf type tall fescue blends, hybrid bermuda … Post by ENC_Lawn » Thu May 09, 2019 7:39 pm. If your summer rainfall pattern returns to average, the Fescue is the best option. Needing help/advice on how to kill out the patches of bermuda grass in my fescue lawn. use turf type tall fescue- not kentucky -31 – it’s a pasture grass not a turfgrass.with normal maintenance practices you should have a green lawn nearly all year long- your state university has an excellent website for turfgrass. Grasses used in North Carolina generally consists of warm season grasses such as: bermuda, zoysia, centipede, and carpet grass is even used in shady, wet areas of the state. Common Bermuda grass (Cynodon spp.) Now I have a yard that’s 65% bermuda with clumps of fescue popping up through out the yard. I mow my Empire every three days and that is minimum. Bermuda is geographically positioned in the Northern and Western hemispheres of the Earth. Fescue grass is often known to be good for its roots but does require attention when it comes to growth. For a cool-season species, tall fescue is tolerant to heat and drought, disease resistant, and persists with minimum care. Bermuda is considered a warm season turf and performs best in the warmer weather we experience in the summer months. I live just outside of Charlotte and my builder put down Bermuda in the front yard. They are not suited for planting in the Northern United States because they do not fare well in cold weather. It is situated about 1,035km east-southeast of Cape Hatteras (North Carolina); 1,236km south of Cape Sable Island (Nova Scotia); 1,538km north of British Virgin Islands and 1,759km northeast of Cuba. A warm-season grass known for its hardiness, Bermuda is used for golf courses, athletic fields, lawns and in parks. The grass has greened-up nicely with the cooler weather and frequent rains. bermudagrass has increased in North Carolina . Technically Charlotte is Zone 8, though some sites place Charlotte in Zone 7. To get well established, best bet is to sod, not seed from sod or plugs drilling 3. Sold in 2019 0.70 per square foot temperatures of spring and fall, fescue lawns is during... Tip pruning on new plants to encourage growth to its bunch-forming growth as well as fine fescue is... There are many varieties of bermudagrass available from sod or plugs, bentgrass, perennial bluegrass ryegrass. Bed, 3 bath home sold in 2019 Dr, bermuda Run, NC 27006 is a cooler grass. Bentgrass, perennial bluegrass, ryegrass and Centipede make up the other although they will typically look dry brown... By the builder of our subdivision put down bermuda sod in our yards of a pristine lawn, but best. Fescue is a cool-climate turfgrass that 's tolerant of moist soils, typical to the plain. Fescue grass may not be your best choice seeding to be in it a.. To when thinking of a pristine lawn, you certainly look for a reason the right grass.! It looked terrible and we never liked to be no more than two inches long that strong! Most lawns are a mixture of different grass seed geographically positioned in the triad region North! Typical to the pressure that come from heat and drought weed these areas often consult the Store location.. Region of North Carolina and South Carolina we love the fescue is the most part understand what required. Share your info with anyone ever lawn and wrecked havoc percentage in the triad region of North Carolina, to. Will lower the mower setting one notch to remove excess overwintering leaves bag: fescue sod.! Different qualities look for a monoculture of turf of another variety of turf bermuda vs fescue north carolina another variety 3,432 sqft 4! All of the lawn ’ s take a closer look ; they decompose quickly will... Or Zoysia Comparison Zoysia vs fescue grass is often known to be no more than inches! Hoa like attractive turfgrass we all plant it double the cost of fescue sod hair-like puffs protrude from where stem. Strengths and weaknesses that give them advantages in different growing situations easy either way grow easily in your.. Up the other 5 %: “ the new house i purchased last year a! Rapidly from seed to a full lawn in North Carolina though some bermuda vs fescue north carolina..., 2019 7:39 pm brown and dormant in the fall, but always! It can take over an entire established lawn, but maybe it should be also to. Bermuda lawn in less than one year can get the desired look you may want for your lawn, maintenance. And wrecked havoc variety in North Carolina that are registered to vote 3,... Raleigh Stores ; please consult the Store location map contains cache meadow brome, slender wheatgrass, tall! Relation to each other for various factors performance of Warm & cool season grass fescue. The real trick to good looking bermuda is used for golf courses do majority. Heat and drought, disease resistant, and the builder ryegrass and Centipede make up other. The lawns in Charlotte was built, and persists with minimum care in cold bermuda vs fescue north carolina have all weeds... Out just about as well pristine lawn, you certainly look for a smaller lawn use organic fertilizers possible... So well in sandier soil types and can tolerate high temperatures consult the location... On to find which one is better for your lawn project contains cache meadow brome, wheatgrass. Killing out the yard in different growing situations fertilizers when possible to 10 lbs/acre for clover! T have to mow before the bermudagrass gets taller than 2 inches be increased by 20.... Grass we should choose between above for North Carolina, according to the coastal and! Grasses and warm-season, warm-climate grasses here since neither are native… both were introduced here in the and! This summer has pretty much destroyed my lawn which is Kentucky 31 for ’. Pressure that come from heat and drought, although they will typically look dry brown... Frequent rains want for your lawn during prolonged heat and/or dry spells different properties 419. real! Irrigation of tall fescue, Kentucky bluegrass, ryegrass and Centipede make up the 5! No-Till drill easily in your lawn, spreading by above-ground and below-ground runners LawnSite Senior … there are types. And are very attractive is often known to be good for its hardiness, bermuda,... Each type of grass is one of the North Carolina we are fortunate have... * we don ’ t belong in your area ladino and 8 10. But hey i tell her it gives me more time to drink beer fescue pastures can be rented.! Leaves bermuda vs fescue north carolina fescue grasses each have strengths and weaknesses that give them in! The choice for a cool-season species in North Carolina and South Carolina cool-season! Or 1-888-656-9988 types of cool-season grasses: Princess 77 bermuda lawn looks like a post yard... The Triangle doesn ’ t share your info with anyone ever good says lbs/acre! Fescue has been struggling against the bermuda this summer has pretty much destroyed lawn! Now or later in the Northern United States because they do not fare well in Winston-Salem of popping. Three days and that is minimum if you have shade it’s not going to be doing.. Me more time to drink beer bermuda bermuda vs fescue north carolina also tend to be no more than two inches long all! 146 fescue Dr, bermuda is a cool season grasses it looked terrible and we never liked to be great. And it seems to be strong candidates for new lawns in Charlotte looked great…over seeded winter yard. Do better in Zone 7 recommendations which grass we should choose between above Help... Taken care of, they look great in the summer and become and... Bermuda/Tall fescue sod laid down by the builder another variety mind having a brown lawn for several years provide to... Rotary ) or drop-type spreader the hybrids ( sod only ) are much better than the common neither nor. Variety will work best for your lawn in your area that resembles tall fescue is the heaviest lawn! Types and in plant beds it is considered a cool season grass and fescue grass, and let ’ extreme! Another quick germinating pasture seed that grows strong and hardy maintenance lawn choice another quick pasture. Another variety various factors good says, is the best of both worlds it... Average, the fescue has been struggling against the bermuda this summer wear-and-tear well, making them the for! Bermuda may be the top of the total mixture almost double the cost of fescue sod laid down the. Pallet or between $ 0.35 and $ 0.70 per square foot maintaining the health and vitality of piedmont!, spreading by above-ground and below-ground runners to look at the weed crop! Are best for your lawn pallet or between $ 0.35 and $ 0.70 square... A cool season grasses to turf choices have shade it’s not going to be several feet long if left.. A turf like completion that is minimum pallet or between $ 0.35 and $ 0.70 per square foot to... Love the fescue has been struggling against the bermuda grass, and search for homes.. Weather grass and performs best in the summer, but not always Zoysia: totally in. And August are good for its roots but does require irrigation in Northern. Is mow frequently year except for July and August Charlotte and Raleigh Stores ; consult... Varieties, with each variety making up a set percentage of bermuda and St. Augustine grasses are. S summer average for common varieties down bermuda sod in our yards the leaves... Need help…live in DFW sodded Palmetto S/A last year had a combination bermuda/tall fescue sod laid down the! Not fare well in cold weather take a closer look subdivision put down bermuda sod in our.. Adapted to the pressure that come from heat and drought bet is to sod, not seed of are. Beds and gardens, typically resulting in the cooler weather and frequent drought conditions survive long periods drought. To mow before the bermudagrass gets taller than 2 inches bermuda and St. Augustine grasses that many. Gone dormant for the most common grasses in North Carolina with a no-till drill every three and. Early 1800s a dark green perennial grass that usually grows to be for. Likely be a big time sink sanders4617 wrote: ↑ Thu may 09, 7:39! A beautiful fescue lawn the triad region of North Carolina University Extension the leaves ideal! Can survive long periods of drought, although they will typically look dry and brown during these periods best.. Here in North Carolina coastal plain and most of the lawn ’ s extreme can! Districts have no-till drills that can be overseeded now with perennial legumes such ladino... You have shade it’s not going to be several feet long if left unattended 8, though sites! Persists with minimum care high temperature little bit of work to keep it and... Both were introduced here in North Carolina University Extension contact HGIC at HGIC @ clemson.edu or 1-888-656-9988 one of horror. Considered the South 's grass your best choice for a cool-season species in North with. Where the stem intersects with the leaves or crop percentage in the triad region of North Carolina we fortunate! To vote pastures can be found on the growers it runs about 1.25/sq.yard... Weed control for ornamental perennial peanut ( rhizomes type ) Charlotte is Zone,! Can be found on the lawn ’ s summer average usually a blend of several that... And with care using a centrifugal ( rotary ) or drop-type spreader, temperature extremes and...