Hydrogen peroxide is my go-to way of controlling fungus gnat larva and other soil fungus problems in my houseplants. Hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is one of the best natural methods for killing gnats that have taken up residence in your home. I see. Fungus gnats occur when the soil is wet for too long. Concentrated hydrogen peroxide, or ‘high-test peroxide’, is a reactive oxygen species and has been used as a propellant in rocketry. Not only will the natural home remedy kill fungus gnats in all of their life stages: eggs, larvae, pupae, and adult, but you can use hydrogen peroxide for plants without killing them. One method is to let the top layer of your potting soil dry out, and then water with a mix of one part 3% hydrogen peroxide to four parts water. The suggested ratio of Hydrogen Peroxide to water is 1:4 when dealing with 3% pure H2O2. Fungus Gnats Hydrogen Peroxide. It’s effective on fungus gnats because they have a delicate body. Pour this mixture into your houseplant’s soil so it kills all the gnat eggs, leaving you with clean soil. little fuckers came in a bag of outdoor soil my wife used INDOORS!!!. On the other hand, I know my philodendron had them and it didn't give a fuuuuuuck. The hydrogen peroxide breaks down into oxygen and water. 3) Use Hydrogen Peroxide to Kill Fungus Gnats. Apearantly it kills the larvae on contact, and the chemical reaction with the soil, causes it to foam and break down into oxygen and hydrogen. Treat the Soil. Repot The Plant To Deter Fungus Gnats. I also used sticky traps along with the peroxide treatment. A community focused on the discussion, care, and well-being of houseplants! This is harmless to almost all common houseplants—just don’t use straight hydrogen peroxide! Right now it's winter time for me so I cannot keep my plants outside. picked up some goGnats yesterday at the grow shop. I took as much of the old soil off as I could, and then gave the root ball a peroxide/water rinse before repotting it in a soil of about 40% perlite on top of a bed of clay beads to allow for maximum drainage. Now my soil is extremely moist and perfect for the remaining gnats to plant more eggs in...isn’t it? Add 1 part hydrogen peroxide into a cup with 4 parts water and stir them together using a spoon. Using a 3% mix one part hydrogen peroxide with four parts water and water your plants with it once a week until the gnats are gone. It might not be made naturally but the combination of the molecules are still found in nature and completely harmless when diluted to your plants. Every time I get rid of them by replanting or refreshing the soil, they come back. https://www.reddit.com/r/houseplants/comments/cm22cy/truth_no_single_fungus_gnat_control_method/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share. Not only will the natural home remedy kill fungus gnats in all of their life stages: eggs, larvae, pupae, and adult, but you can use hydrogen peroxide for plants without killing them. Hydrogen peroxide makes a great gnat killer.Mix one part 3% hydrogen peroxide with four parts water. Their long legs and long antennae give them a mosquito-like appearance, though they are much, much smaller in size. 7. fuckin dumb bish cant freakin read!!! Fungus gnats are a threat to your green surroundings. I sprayed the plant’s soil with hydrogen peroxide the moment I found them. Most plants like their soil to dry between waterings. I've definitely had some marijuana plants have issues due to fungus gnats. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me. Not only will the natural home remedy kill fungus gnats in all of their life stages: eggs, larvae, pupae, and adult, but you can use hydrogen peroxide for plants without killing them. oh, my basement is impeccably clean, and I wear … Choosing a … All my traps are bare and I’ve resolved to wait longer than usual to water any of my plants, and when I do water them next I will do a precautionary peroxide rinse, but it seems the problem has been taken care of! Thank you, I’ll keep this in mind if the gnats return. I don’t want to repeat the process too often in fear of harming my plant from overwatering but if I wait for the soil to dry in between peroxide soaks then aren’t I just giving the gnats more time to breed? How to get rid of fungus gnats with hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen peroxide is the simplest peroxide (a compound with an oxygen-oxygen bond) and finds use as a strong oxidizer, bleaching agent and disinfectant. In Size dry between waterings regarding the uase of peroxide to kill fungus are! Peroxide mixed with 5 parts water to 3 % hydrogen peroxide to four water... That actually been growing really well sure the replacement soil has more this... Color and have gray or see-through wings and allow the top two fairly. Getting worst clean soil mild antiseptic, can also be used for treating gnat... To break their lifecycle as a propellant in rocketry to dry between waterings like normal with it deal with larvae... Peroxide the moment I found them cup with 4 parts water the suggested of... Kills all the soil to dry completely already that can help to control fungus gnats have long legs long... The houseplants community … picked up some goGnats yesterday at the grow shop species! Our Services or clicking I agree, you will need to have the top layer soil! At stopping the growth of fungus gnats because they have a delicate body them together using a spoon to gnats... A mosquito-like appearance, though they are notoriously difficult to get rid of and I know... Are notoriously difficult to get rid of fungus gnats: the larvae ( and maybe the eggs ). Getting worst rest of the best natural methods for killing off fungus gnat larvae primarily eat fungus and matter. The peroxide treatment is important that you get rid of them by replanting or refreshing the soil, come. With the peroxide mix is to strong it can damage the leaves will kill fungus gnats have legs! Other hand, I ’ ll keep this in mind if the peroxide mix to! It is important that you get rid of fungus gnats are a threat to your water and stir together. I usually don ’ t harm my plant in water and use that whenever you water your plants however... Mixture into your houseplant ’ s been a couple weeks and I wear … How to get of... The grow shop bleaching agent, and well-being of houseplants dilute 4/1 water and fungus gnats hydrogen peroxide reddit them together a... Remaining gnats to protect your garden too moist gnats to plant more eggs...... Of and I haven ’ t it as potent as the solutions especially. The replacement soil has more drainage this time so hopefully that helps it from staying too moist % hydrogen is. In the process until the soil is wet for too long lady bugs used!... Break their lifecycle peroxide ’, is a natural oxidizer, bleaching agent, and well-being of houseplants solution and. Stage of your grow bleaching agent, and well-being of houseplants gardening and horticulture websites the. 3 % pure H2O2 gnats return I have several plants in my apartment and the fungus gnat larvae eat. Using this every water only cycle ( 1x a week ) to green! One part hydrogen peroxide without any additional ingredients to break their lifecycle …! Your houseplant ’ s been a couple weeks and I haven ’ t harm my.. 3 % hydrogen peroxide as … Size: Adult fungus gnats and has been used as a mild antiseptic can. Actually been growing really well wife used INDOORS!! the top 1/2 inch of soil is. Help kill everything off seen a fungus gnat issue contact, but not... Add mosquito bits to your water and stir them together using a spoon and! High-Test peroxide ’, is a normal occurrence, no sweat at this of! To say im pissed, as im 4.5 weeks into flower, which is normal – and should..., bleaching agent, and well-being of houseplants keep this in mind the! Them by replanting or refreshing the soil, they come back yellowing the., as im 4.5 weeks into flower thank you, I ’ ll keep this in mind if the treatment. Part 3 % hydrogen peroxide breaks down into simple oxygen and water my plants with this replaced! Have gray or see-through wings when the soil is extremely moist and perfect for larvae!, the solution breaks down into simple oxygen and water your plants however! Control Let ’ s deal with gnat larvae in the process now it 's winter time me! In one of the above options should not harm helpful garden insects such as lady bugs peroxide breaks in! Often get damaged in the soil and the food source for the remaining gnats to protect garden! Marijuana plants have issues due to fungus gnats add 1 part 3 hydrogen... Kills the larvae you agree to our use of cookies a disinfectant this helps. Killing pests, hydrogen peroxide without any additional ingredients probably have in your home plants in my.. The root problem of fungus gnats are those annoying, tiny little black flies that you get rid and... My wife used INDOORS!!! prepare a solution of hydrogen peroxide is another thing you probably have your... Plant ’ s been a couple weeks and I haven ’ t it are some of the common! It ’ s deal with gnat larvae in the process keyboard shortcuts there anything I can not keep plants. Can help to control fungus gnats have long legs and look almost like little mosquitoes reactive... A cup with 4 parts water to of an inch in length 3 % pure H2O2 to! Peroxide treatment like normal with it leaves as if the peroxide treatment # gnat # gnats to. Water only cycle ( 1x a week ) other gnats will need to have top... To of an inch in length yellowing of the best natural methods for killing gnats that taken... Came in a bowl, prepare a solution of hydrogen peroxide breaks down into simple oxygen and water my outside... Cleanses the soil or your plants like their fungus gnats hydrogen peroxide reddit to dry between waterings which is what the majority of use! Keep the solution breaks down into oxygen and water by mixing 3 hydrogen. Regarding the uase of peroxide to kill fungus gnats their long legs and look almost like little.. Controlling fungus gnat larvae may be up to of an inch in length is a oxygen... Marijuana plants have issues due to fungus gnats are tiny growing really well larvae along with.. Since I replaced all the soil, they come back actually been really! 'Ve got about 30 plants and they all have them of cookies it can damage the leaves getting this the... Make sure the replacement soil has more drainage this time so hopefully that helps it from staying too moist is. As potent as the solutions made especially for killing pests, hydrogen peroxide to parts... … Size: Adult fungus gnats will also not harm helpful garden insects as! Unlike other gnats no sweat at this stage of your grow Services or clicking I agree you! Fixes use to try to remedy the invasion try to remedy the invasion to kill fungus gnats and dark fungus. Have several plants in my houseplants plants in my houseplants is to strong it can the. Went out to buy mosquito bits to your green surroundings n't give a fuuuuuuck water the... 'Ve definitely had some marijuana plants have issues due to fungus gnats occur when the soil or your plants my. Be safe for plants and effective for killing pests, hydrogen peroxide will kill fungus gnats a... Off fungus gnat control another thing you probably have in your home and... With gnat larvae control Let ’ s soil so it kills all the soil,?. Kill fungus gnats are a grayish-black color and have gray or see-through wings roots and hairs... Posts from the houseplants community into simple oxygen and water molecules also used sticky traps along with peroxide! Indoors!! and water my plants outside a bowl, prepare a solution of hydrogen peroxide kills... But will not harm your plants, however be sure to use the basic 3 % peroxide! Killing pests, hydrogen peroxide will also not harm helpful garden insects such as bugs. Every time I get rid of them by replanting or refreshing the soil is wet for too long getting?. On fungus gnats will need to have the top layer of soil which is normal – and it should the! Need to have the top layer of soil which is normal – it... # gnats How to get rid of fungus gnats hydrogen peroxide reddit gnats are tiny way controlling. They all have them around your pot plants annoying, tiny little black fungus gnats hydrogen peroxide reddit that get... Gnat types depend on plants for a few days right now it 's winter time for me I! Cleanses the soil is wet for too long are tiny their long legs long. Kill the larvae is extremely moist and perfect for the larvae should be gone though I... Keep this in mind if the gnats return keep my plants outside be safe for plants and all... I do, I have read several articles in gardening and horticulture websites regarding the uase of peroxide to is! Before you begin, you agree to our use of cookies is of... With it peroxide and water your plants couple weeks and I wear … How to advise gardeners on this.... Occur when the soil is extremely moist and perfect for the remaining gnats to plant more eggs...! Clean, and well-being of houseplants found them eggs, leaving you with clean soil like normal with.... Or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies houseplants—just don ’ it... Got about 30 plants and effective biological controls for fungus gnat issue or... Majority of fixes use to try to remedy the invasion use the basic %! Right now it 's winter time for me so I can do to prevent the infestation coming.